| Home > Our Focus > Conversion
Drydocks World – Dubai is rapidly emerging as a leader in the vessel conversion market. It has over a decade’s experience in this field and has executed some extremely complex projects for the world’s leading maritime and offshore contractors and oil majors. The major focus has been tanker to FSO or FPSO conversion. The nature of work broadly varies from de-jumboising single hulled to double hulled tankers, cable layers to dive support vessels and gearless bulk carriers to self un-loaders.
Exceedingly good project management, reliable and quality service, in time delivery and commitment to high safety standards has helped the yard to get repeat orders from loyal clients. The first conversion project taken up by the yard was that of VLCC to FPO Nkossa 1 in 1996. More specialized and complex projects followed. In 2008, the yard saw four FPSO conversions of significantly different sizes, production capacity, mooring system and volume of work.
Major international Engineering, Procurement, Installation and Commissioning companies (EPICs) like SBM, Saipem and Fred Olsen and oil company Woodside Energy have regularly used the facility for vessel conversions. Some key indirect clients include Exxon Mobil, Petrobras, Sonangol, Agip, Woodside Energy, Addax and Canadian National Resource (CNR).
- Panamax bulk carrier Balsfjord was converted to a self Un-loader vessel. This was The first project done by the yard as an EPIC contractor
- Upgrade and refurbishment of FPSO Cossack Pioneer.
- Conventional crude carrier Stena Contender to FSO Nkossa1
- Upgrade of pipe-laying barge DLB Castoro 2.
- Shortening of Golden Arrow
- Widening of Arctic Supply.
- VLCC was converted to FPSO Atlantic.
- Conventional medium size crude tanker was converted to FPSO Mystras II
- World’s largest tanker Jahre Viking was converted to FSO Knock Nevis.
- VLCC tanker Elgreco to FPSO Knock Adoon.
- VLCC tanker Margaux to FPSO Cidade de Vitoria
- VLCC tanker Magdeline to FPSO Gimboa
- VLCC tanker Lu San into FPSO Frade.
- Navion Bergen, an Aframax Conventional Single Screw Oil Tanker converted to Shuttle Tanker
- Navion Gothenburg, a Suezmax Conventional Single Screw Oil Tanker converted to a Shuttle Tanker
- FPSO Deep Producer I
- FPSO Knock Allan
- FPSO Frade
- FSO Asia
- FSO Falcon Spirit
- FSO Africa
- FSO Prem Pride
- FPSO Aquila
- FPSO BW Athena
- FSRU Livorno
- MCV Eagle Texas
- MCV Eagle Louisiana